Sunday, September 23, 2012

State Fair day 2

The second day at the fair included free singing acts, sheep, pigs and donkeys.  The donkey part lasted a little longer than I wanted it to but it was interesting.  The donkeys were mini donkeys and their handlers were dressed very nice and were very serious about the event.  I don't know if they win money for this or if it is just pride but you could tell they were really wanting to win.  The donkeys were shown - just walking up and down the area, then they had to do a high jump and the one that jumped the highest won then there was an obstacle course.  First they were walked by an area with some goose decoys and a pink flamingo.  Some were very frightened of these decoys and wouldn't go near them.  They also had to walk backwards between hay bales, walk by an artificial tree with balloons hanging down, stop in a square and "stay" while the owner let go of the leash and walk around them.  I had no idea donkeys could be trained to do these things.  We also saw the sheep sheering demonstration which was very cool. 








This donkey won the high jump but even he wouldn't jump this height



The highlight of the day for me was finding out my cross stitch got second place - not a blue ribbon but a red one and that made me very happy.   After I got home I noticed the judge had written on the back of the tag "What a hoot!  Love it"


No comments: